Friday, May 23, 2014

:: Engaged :: Part 1

It was nearing 4:00 in the afternoon on 26th of April. A typical Saturday, filled with household projects, major cleaning jobs, etc. As was my normal routine, I grabbed my laptop, the ironing board, a pile of clothes and set to work while waiting for a skype call from a certain someone. Soon the chiming of an incoming call sounded and my man showed up on the screen. We chatted and not long after, Dad popped in the room. Then Mum. No biggie...the family's always around and "interruptions" are numerous. The iron continued to steam away while David began a story. 

A story that dates back 13 years ago. Our family was just starting out on deputation for Africa. While we kids went to summer camp, my folks flew to CA for a week. Insert those dreadful prayer-cards where we all looked like something from the 70's (no offense to those from that era :). A young man from San Francisco picked up a card and tucked it away (though I still think it ought to be burned!). 

The summer of 2005 rolled around and found my dad, brother and I winging our way over the Rockies to San Fran. Senior trip 101. We had a lovely time touring the city, western coastline and ministering in several Baptist churches. During one service in particular, we got up to sing special music and then, without much warning, my Dad and brother stepped back leaving me front and center to share my salvation testimony. I stammered my way through a greeting and then began sharing how the Lord transformed my life (really must blog about that sometime!). Down in front, a young man was paying close attention (though I certainly didn't know that, and am very glad I didn't :) 

Another 5 years passed. Furlough was upon us once again. My amazing grandparents housed us 8 kids while the folks reported in the Bay area. A week on a farm with just your grandparents...Why not? ;) When Dad and Mum returned, Dad took me on a little boat ride out on the murky pond. "Juli, what character qualities are you looking for in a guy?" I really hadn't a clue. "A miniature you?" :) He proceeded to tell me about a young man he'd met out on the West Coast, but waited till I'd spent some alone time in prayer and Bible study before explaining more. Before long, the emails and letters were flying. Awkwardly, yes...hard writing someone you really don't know. The remedy to that was only an plane ticket away. 


We finally met. And spent nigh on a week with each other, at church, over meals, on walks, evenings by the Bay. Didn't take me long to feel completely at ease with this guy. 


8 comments:

  1. Loved reading this! Even though I know the ending, I can't wait to read the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHHH!!!!! <3 <3 <3 Eagerly awaiting part 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading part 2, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me join the list of Katie's bridesmaids comments and say...this story is intriguing me. :) So glad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, love it! - John and Esther Shrader

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good, Juli! So happy for you, and you should become a writer . . . I felt like I'd picked up a very good book. -- Leah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!!! Looking forward to the next part!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juli....so excited for you.....now, I must comment since I'm one of the only bridesmaids left to say something. ;) Can't wait to read part 2. :)

    ReplyDelete