Saturday, March 9, 2013

Music Matters

My head is pounding! The paintball/water park down the road has decided to disrupt our peaceful little area with its music, cranked up at full blast. Maybe I should invest in a good pair of earplugs. Sigh...in the meantime, I solace myself with instrumental Christmas music.  Do you think if I blasted "Silent Night" tomorrow, that they'd mind?? 

I am ever so thankful for good, godly music. Years ago, a friend of ours showed us a little experiment on the effects of rock music. Holding his arm straight out to the side, he had one of my brothers try to push it down. When playing a simple classical piece, he had full strength in his arm. As soon as the music changed to rock, he  noticeably became weaker. If you think I'm making this up, go ahead and try it. Music has a huge influence over us. That is why it's so important to surround ourselves with only Christ-honoring melodies.  

Music has a significant part in our family life. All us kids, except Josh, play an instrument, though some of us (*ahem) are still in the beginning stages. Piano, trumpet, flute, chroma harp, bells, violin, saxophone & dulcimer are the majority of our instruments. I only claim the right to pounding out 3rd grade level pieces on the piano. My younger siblings find great joy in being better than their big sis. I was rightly put in my place a year or so ago when my (at the time) 9 yr. old sister said with a tinge of exasperation, "You're still on that song?? I had it down the first week. You're playing it all wrong!" Thanks, Bri... :) At least it gave me the motivation to push ahead and keep at it.  You're never too old to start, eh? I guess to also helps that I have probably the most patient teacher in all the world. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment